There are two ways to support Saxtalk:
Goals and Core Values:
- Become a little bit better on the saxophone every day
- Keep the Saxtalk lessons, etudes, and songs free and open source forever
- Encourage aspiring saxophonists, and help them to achieve their dreams and their full potential
About the Philosophy behind Saxtalk:
I am a longtime GNU/Linux user (CentOS and Fedora), and I am a proud member of the GNU/Linux community. I am an avid supporter of free software and open-source software:
I long ago internalized the spirit and philosophies of Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS), and they inform everything that I do here on Saxtalk. Every etude and song on Saxtalk is written by me, and they are all released under a very permissive Creative Commons license, Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0): https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
Please enjoy Saxtalk! It will remain a completely free resource for developing saxophonists forever.
The Free/Open-Source Software behind Saxtalk.com:
- I am an extremely strong proponent of Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS). I have used FOSS extensively since about 2001, the year that I switched from Windows to GNU/LInux.
- Saxtalk.com is powered by the open-source content management system known as Publii: https://getpublii.com/
- Saxtalk.com runs on a Digital Ocean droplet running Ubuntu GNU/Linux: https://ubuntu.com/, and at home, I use CentOS GNU/Linux: https://www.centos.org/
- For music creation, I use two very powerful open-source programs: Musescore and Audacity: https://musescore.org/en and https://www.audacityteam.org/ The only piece of proprietary music software that I use is Band-in-a-Box: https://www.pgmusic.com/
- For web development and testing (i.e. for refining the Saxtalk.com Alto Saxophone Fingering Charts web page), I use two very powerful open-source programs: the Bluefish Editor and the Brave Web browser: http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html and https://brave.com/
- Finally, for decentralized file hosting I use IPFS and Pinata: https://ipfs.io/ and https://pinata.cloud/